Snow plowing with an ATV or UTV is an efficient and practical way to clear snow during the winter months. These versatile snow vehicles are perfect for residential use, and they are also increasingly used for commercial snow removal projects. In this comprehensive guide, we explain why ATVs are great for plowing snow and share tips on how to plow snow with an ATV.
Why ATVs & UTVs are Great for Plowing Snow
ATVs (All-Terrain Vehicles) and UTVs (Utility Task Vehicles) are excellent choices for snow plowing due to several key advantages:
- Versatility: ATVs and UTVs can navigate a wide range of terrains and are designed to handle challenging conditions. Their compact size and excellent maneuverability make them perfect for snow plowing in tight spaces.
- Four-Wheel Drive: Most ATV and UTV models come equipped with four-wheel drive, providing superior traction in snowy and icy conditions. This feature is essential for effective snow plowing.
- Powerful Engine: These vehicles typically feature robust engines with various engine sizes, including 400cc, 500cc, and 700cc options, capable of handling heavy snow and steep inclines.
- Attachment Options: ATVs and UTVs can be easily fitted with snow plow systems, making them a versatile choice for seamless snow removal.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to traditional snow plows and larger snow removal vehicles, ATVs and UTVs offer a more cost-effective solution for homeowners and small businesses.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Plow Snow with an ATV
Now, let's delve into the process of plowing snow with an ATV or UTV in this step-by-step guide:
1. Prepare Your ATV
Ensure your ATV is in good working condition, with particular attention to the engine and tire pressure. Cold weather can affect the engine so consider using an engine block heater for a smoother start.
2. Select the Right Plow Blade
Choose a plow blade that suits your needs, considering factors such as the amount of snow, the type of snow (wet or dry), and the terrain you'll be plowing. Straight blades work well for smaller amounts of snow, while scoop configurations are effective in deep snow.
3. Install the Plow System
Attach the plow blade to your ATV using the provided hitch or rear hitch. Ensure it is securely fastened and properly aligned.
4. Adjust the Plow Blade
Use the controls provided such as electric winches or control levers to lift and angle the plow blade to your desired position. This adjustment will depend on the snow depth and the direction in which you want to move the snow.
5. Begin Plowing
Start your ATV and begin plowing by driving slowly and steadily in straight lines. Overlap each pass slightly to ensure complete coverage.
6. Lift the Plow Blade
When you reach the end of your plowing area or need to turn around, lift the plow blade to avoid unnecessary strain on your machine and the plow system.
7. Continue to Clear Snow with Ease
Continue the plowing process, adjusting the plow blade as needed, until you've cleared the desired area. ATVs with four-wheel drive and good traction can handle deep snow and heavy snowfall effectively.
Extra Tips for Snow Plowing with an ATV
To make your snow plowing experience even more efficient and trouble-free, consider these additional tips:
- Tire Chains: In extremely icy conditions, consider using tire chains for extra traction. They can significantly improve your ATV's grip on slippery surfaces.
- Cab Enclosure: In cold months, especially during prolonged snow removal sessions, an aftermarket cab enclosure can provide protection from the elements and keep you comfortable.
- Maintenance: After each plowing session, inspect your ATV for damage and clean off any snow and ice to prevent corrosion. Regular maintenance, including checking fluid levels and greasing moving parts, will extend the life of your snow plow system.
- Ballast Weight: For better traction, especially in heavy snow, add ballast weight to your ATV. This extra weight will improve stability and plowing performance.
- Snow Blower Attachment: In extremely heavy snowfall, consider using a snow blower attachment for more efficient snow removal. Snow blowers are particularly useful for commercial snow removal projects.
Customize Your ATV
If you want to use your ATV to plow snow, you will need to invest in ATV accessories to customize your vehicle. At Perfex Industries, we are known for our high-quality aftermarket ATV accessories and parts, engineered to improve performance, durability, and functionality. Whether you're seeking increased clearance with a lift kit or enhanced protections with a skid plate, we provide a wide range of products to meet your specific needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the advantage of using a UTV or ATV for snow plowing?
UTVs and ATVs are advantageous for snow plowing due to their versatility, four-wheel drive capabilities, compact size, and maneuverability, making them well-suited for navigating tight spaces and diverse terrains.
What types of snow plow blades are available for UTVs and ATVs?
You can choose from straight blades, scoop configurations, and larger plow blades. The choice depends on the amount of snow, snow type, and the terrain you intend to clear.
How do I prepare my UTV or ATV for snow plowing?
Ensure your machine is in good working condition, pay attention to the engine, and maintain the correct tire pressure. Consider using an engine block heater in cold weather.